Holmes Student Center Renovation
After five years of planning and construction, NIU is excited to welcome the university community back to the first floor of the Holmes Student Center.
"To call this space remodeled is really a disservice," said NIU President Dr. Lisa Freeman. "It has been completely reimagined, revamped and revitalized. We have transformed an outdated, uninviting space into a modern, vibrant hub of life on campus."
The redesign focused specifically on creating a place that students will be excited to visit. The first phase, opened Oct. 26, as part of Homecoming weekend, includes:
- A Starbucks coffee shop.
- The Depot – a convenience store specializing in food for students on the run.
- Bright and modern Huskie Books and Gear campus store.
- 8,000 square feet of beautiful lounge space for studying, meeting or relaxing.
- The OASIS – home to the Student Association, the Campus Activities Board and a branch office for Student Affairs, this area also offers collaborative workspaces for student organizations large and small.
- The Huskie Den, this sports bar and grille will offer an extensive menu of pub food favorites, a bar featuring local craft beers and wine, multiple televisions, a dozen pool tables and a stage that will feature live entertainment.
- Qdoba – Opening in March, the HSC will offer the complete menu of offerings from one of America’s top fast-casual Tex-Mex restaurants.